Wednesday, May 15, 2013

getting to the root

It's dandelion digging time of year again... and the analogy always grabs me. Today, I read a great quote from Thabite Anyabwile in his chapter, "Cosmic Treason: Sin and the Holiness of God," in the book "Holy, Holy, Holy: Proclaiming the Perfections of God." It's a great dandelion digger!

"at the heart of all sin is a contemptuous attitude toward the person and the work of God, and toward His holiness and righteousness in particular.... It is not retaining the knowledge of God in our lives, in our hearts, and in our affections. It is the suppressing of the knowledge of God, as Paul describes it in Romans 1. We are to be consumed with love for God and the desire to worship Him, but because we're sinners and misshapen in our sin, our contempt for Him manifests itself at the most basic level of not thinking about Him, but delighting in sin. That is why sin is treasonous."

O God, root this treason out of my heart! It often springs up like so many weeds. Give me eyes to see You! Holy Spirit be my constant reminder. Thank You for Jesus who was crushed for MY iniquity. As I memorize Romans 1, may it be medicine for my soul. May I not become contemptuously callous!!!!!

No comments: