Tuesday, May 28, 2013

a seed which grows

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Jacob helped me to transplant 4 oak trees that were growing in my flower beds out to spots on my parents' property. (FYI - it always pays to have a friend with a degree in horticulture!)

I have always been intrigued by oak trees - their solidity and longevity. Three of them stood (still stand) in front of my boyhood home, and I was always amazed to think that they had been on the property even before my grandmother was alive on it. (We counted the rings on one that was logged in our woods this past fall, and it had been growing there even before Ohio was a state!) Those stately trees have survived wind storms, numerous lightning strikes, and cars missing the bend. They are full of scars and full of stories.

In the past, I have tried collecting acorns all over with the plans of starting young trees - trees that will far outlast me. Those attempts have been fairly unsuccessful. Yet without much effort from me, over the past several years, some have started to grow amidst my lilies. However, for long term flourishing, they could not stay there, hence, the transplanting.

Now I am at the "mulching and heavy watering stage," and the trees are adjusting to the transplant shock with varying degrees of visible reaction. (I am taking Jacob at his word that just because one of them has already shed its leaves that does not mean it is dead, and I continue to water it.) In spite of my best efforts, only God knows what the future holds for those trees.

The same day that we were doing the transplanting, I was providentially reading Isaiah 61 in my devotions. This is the passage of Scripture which Jesus reads in the synagogue in Nazareth in Luke 4:16-21 which He says points to His ministry! The verse which caught my eye as I read was Isaiah 61:3 "that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified" (which also happens to be the theme verse for the work at New City).

And so I see a picture of my life work. I long to plant and water and cultivate in the lives of young people with the Word of God by the power of the Holy Spirit. I long to see them with deep roots to withstand dry and difficult days. I want the fruit of my labor to last long beyond the mist of my life.

And yet the spring time (graduation season) is often difficult. This is one of those hard years like 2000 or 2002 or 2006 when a large group is moving beyond my season as a gardener. A group with whom I have been working since many of them were middle schoolers and some even since they were toddlers! (yeah, Matt, I remember my first year back from school as I began in the ministry - sitting and talking with your dad as you ran around the living room until you dropped dead asleep on the floor). This year also marks 18 years in full time ministry for me - a generation has grown up in that time. It can be tempting to start to think, "What are they going to do without me?"

It's times like now when I need to be continually reminded of 1 Corinthians 3:6-9 and to not forget that last phrase in Isaiah 61:3. I have a role to play, but the growth and the glory all go to God. It is His field, His building. Praise God - He is the one in control and I can trust Him in that.

Lord, may You take Your good seed and grow these lives for Your glory. May they be planted deeply in the multigenerational church which is a place far superior (and even far more biblical) than the temporary nursery plot of youth ministry. May they bear fruit yielding 30, 60, or 100 times what was sown. Father, may I continue to grow that You may be glorified. Forgive me for the times of sinful pride and idolatry when I try to grasp at control. Heal the scars caused by my sin, and may You please help me to continue to be faithful in the place where You have me for as long as You give me breath - fill me with Your Holy Spirit for the task which You have set before me!


No comments: