Friday, March 28, 2008

i'm no franklin d...

on a national scale, december 7, is the day that lives in infamy, but on a more personal level that day'd be march 28. it is the day in 1986 when i lost my appendix, and more importantly, the day in 2002 when i lost my grandmother.

i was reminded again on sunday just how good God is and how well He works everything out. the Easter message was from 1 corinthians 15: the resurrection - Christ's and ours - our hope.

march 27, 2002 was maggie's birthday, and rachel and i finished off memorizing 1 corinthians 15 - leaving us one chapter to do before nationals. little did i realize the comfort that passage would bring to me over the course of the next several days - even becoming the passage that i would use to preach on at gram's funeral.

2 timothy 1:5 talks about timothy's faith being passed down from his mother and grandmother. i can sure identify with him. my grandmother was my best friend, and the one who would teach me the Scriptures - from the basic truths as a little boy to helping me memorize for quizzing all the way through my high school years. my mom is the one who had devotions with us as kids and who would walk the pastures listening to me quote.

today, my passion remains to help kids learn Scripture, and gram is more than just a little bit responsible for that. because she took the time with me, i was memorizing with rachel that day, and today justin and i finished ephesians 3. what a blessing to have interaction with God's life transforming Word and young people. (more on that subject in my latest newsletter).

oh, and to reinforce the idea of hope in resurrection... check out the song victory by some guys who i know that have a band called zimri... (i've been singing it ever since sunday - but this wasn't quite how the pastor sounded ;))

No comments: