Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Joy of Hard Work

There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from him who can eat or who can have enjoyment? Ecc. 2:24-25

Ecclesiastes is one of my favorite books in the Bible. Probably because of the way it depicts meaninglessness and despair - and yet comes through to point to the only ultimate meaning being found in God. Sometimes i feel that despair, and yet i find myself being a hopeful person. Why? Because God is in control!

So i like to work hard. I like to get really dirty. I like to feel bone tired at the end of a day knowing that something has been accomplished. In work, i find a freedom to think - a freedom to meditate, the noise of the world is drowned out and i am simply glorifying the One who made be by pouring myself into the task at hand.

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I do agree with the after effects, the wondrous feeling of being accomplished, but oh, the getting started... that is indeed the toughest part for me.