Tuesday, June 26, 2012

ezekiel, augustine and the poor in spirit

It amazes me how often the various things I read during my time with God tie together, therefore reinforcing what He is teaching me! (He knows I have to hear things more than once to get it.) This morning I read this in Ezekiel 33:10-11:

"And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, 'Thus have you said: 'Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we rot away because of them. How then can we live?"' Say to them, '"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?"'"

Then I read this prayer in The Confessions:

"Let them turn back, and seek You, for You do not forsake Your creation as they have forsaken their Creator. Let them only turn back, see! there You are in their hearts, in the hearts of all those who confess to You, who fling themselves into Your arms and weep against Your breast after their difficult journey, while You so easily will wipe away their tears. At this they weep the more, yet even their laments are matter for joy, because You Lord, are not some human being of flesh and blood, but the Lord who made them, and now make them anew and comfort them.
 And what of myself: where was I as I sought You? You were straight ahead of me, but I had roamed away from myself and could not find even myself, let alone You!"

All of this while meditating on Matthew 5:6 for camp: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

No comments: