Thursday, August 19, 2010

praying for revival

a couple of weeks ago, as we were reading the 'resh' section of Psalm 119 (vs. 153-160) responsively in the morning worship service, the repetition of the phrase "revive me" stuck out to me.

we use the nkjv in worship, but when i went back to look at it later and read it in the esv, i noticed that it is translated there, "give me life..." what a marked contrast to several local billboards whose slogan reads: "we bring church to life." (they have rubbed me the wrong way ever since i first saw them!) here is the true answer - a plea to our God to give us life!!!

what follows is a look at the various ways that the psalmist offers up this prayer throughout Psalm 119.

"my soul clings to the dust, give me life according to Your word!" Psalm 119:25

"turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in Your ways." Psalm 119:37

"behold, i long for Your precepts; in Your righteousness give me life!" Psalm 119:40

"in your steadfast love give me life, that i may keep the testimonies of Your mouth." Psalm 119:88

"i am severely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to Your word!" Psalm 119:107

"hear my voice according to Your steadfast love; O Lord, according to Your justice give me life." Psalm 119:149

"plead my cause and redeem me; give me life according to Your promise!" Psalm 119:154

"great is Your mercy, O Lord; give me life according to Your rules." Psalm 119:156

"consider how i love Your precepts! give me life according to your steadfast love." Psalm 119:159

O Lord, may Your Word be used to inform and instruct my prayer life! O God, GIVE US LIFE!

No comments: