Thursday, November 20, 2008

yeah, i'm an emo kid...

or at least i tear up more than your "stereotypical guy" is supposed to...

of course, who says that the stereotypes are correct? i think about when the psalmist says, "my eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law." (ps. 119:136), or the ephesian elders crying over paul's departure (acts 20:37), or even better, Jesus himself ("Jesus wept" - john 11:35).

so what makes me cry? (and why do i analyze and form lists?)

goodbyes: driving away from my sister's place in jersey, hugging dad at the airport

books: reepicheep sailing away in the voyage of the dawn treader (the best of the lot! imo), a walk to remember, the departure from the grey havens in the return of the king (note: the movie did NOT make me cry)

movies: the scene where julius' eyes meet gary's mom's in the er in remember the titans, pretty much the whole way through we are marshall

songs: hearing taps played at the memorial or veterans' day parades

BUT - being the week it is AND being the son of a tubist... when the drum major salutes and high fives the tubist... something within me swells and the tears begin to fall - yeah - i'm from O-H-I-O:

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Stephen T. Richman, you win Nerd of the Week Award! Kudos and good job! (Don't worry ... I'm kind of a band geek ... I was amazed by the video ... but I didn't cry which allows my cool status to stay pretty high)