Thursday, September 4, 2008

i walked down the street...

so last november, i moved to my own place (next to my grandparents - to be closer to them when they need stuff and to help them out). of course, this new place is in town, which is quite a change for me... i'm used to my neighbors being pretty much all relatives or cows!

now, it would probably surprise some people just how much of an introvert i am... cause i can totally come out of my shell in situations where i'm comfortable or in ministry situations where i sort of "force outgoing."

anyway, sunday morning was a first for me... i got up early before sunday school and church and just walked down my street. (which was pretty cool cause the river was covered with fog - did i mention that i live right on the river? - and i saw a great blue heron sitting on a rock down by the shore) - but honestly - i was a little nervous about taking that walk. why? there were PEOPLE in those houses... who might SEE me!

so i sit back now and think "wow, what a chicken" (not the first time i've thought of myself in that manner... lol) - and praying "God give me opportunities to reach out to those PEOPLE... my neighbors..."

"for God did not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 tim. 1:7

oh, and by the way, who came to speak in sunday school and church... a young missionary serving in east berlin... who shared how much he and his wife have been stretched out of their comfort zones there - but amazed at the opportunities that God has opened up! :)

gotta love our thematic God!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

finally catching up on all the blogs I've missed over the past month... I had been struck the last few times visiting pap and gram how the neighborhood seems to be withering with them.. I will pray that new life be breathed through you and that the people in the houses who see you will be encouraged to come out of their houses and take part in the light you bring. Shine bright, bro...