Sunday, April 13, 2008

the cranberries and the mercy of the Lord

you know how there are certain songs that when they start playing, you just like singing them to your sister just for the reaction? like "benny and the jets"? and she can get so annoyed by you going "benny" "benny" "BENNY"... ok, so maybe you don't, but another song that i would always run to sarah's room when it would come on was "linger" by the cranberries... haha - i always just got a kick out of trying to sing like her (dolores o'riordan - i just looked it up... yup, sis, one i didn't know).

well, this morning's sermon was out of genesis 19 where God destroys sodom and gomorrah:

"as morning dawned, the angels urged lot, saying, 'up! take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city.' but he lingered. so the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city." gen. 19:15-16


when i read the word "lingered", i started to think of the cranberries song and the words "you know i'm such a fool for you, you've got me wrapped around your finger." (i am TOTALLY fighting the urge to type it out the way that she sings it!) and it's true, often i AM a fool for the world, and i DO linger...

so i say, "praise God for His mercy! that He comes to seize me by the hand and bring me out of terrible places and sin that can be so deceiving. forgive me, Lord, for becoming enamored with this world and its ways. bring me to my senses, i pray. help me to love YOU more!"

2 comments:

Natalie said...

God is everywhere. Even in Cranberries.

Sarah said...

So yeah. HATED when you would sing Benny and the Jets. But as your lovely play list exemplifies (scremo one minute, Across the Field the next??) there were many songs that you annoyed me with. After Across the Field, I was treated to FYC, She Drives Me Crazy. Could hear you singing the OOO part in my head...