Thursday, February 14, 2008

call me an emo kid, but i saw a gorgeous sunrise this morning

it rose with an orangy glow over the snow covered west virginia hills, the fake power plant clouds and the icy river.... i was like "oh, that's really cool" temporarily forgetting how cold i was digging in my pocket for my van keys

well, as i drove out the road... i was thinking about my reaction - i noticed the beauty, but was i REALLY all that moved by it? and is it really so rare for me to notice such things? am i really so oblivious to the world around me and the grandeur of God? it's kinda like when g.k. chesterton said, "the amazing thing about people's funny noses is not that the noses are funny, but that they have noses at all!" when i first heard that quote, i thought, "you're right... God has created an AMAZING air filtration system that is constantly in front of my face but i BARELY think about it!"

so it's valentine's day, that emotional centerpiece of our calendar, and i'm driving along having this internal discussion about really noticing and feeling, and my heart being moved, etc. and i started to think about some of the verses i've been memorizing in psalm 119:

"my soul is CONSUMED WITH LONGING for Your rules at all times"

"HOT INDIGNATION seizes me because of the wicked, who forsake Your law."

"my FLESH TREMBLES for fear of You, and i am afraid of Your judgments."

"i open my mouth and PANT, because i long for Your commandments."

and i think, wow, these are strong emotional and physical reactions to God's truth by the psalmist. THAT is how i want to be. i want to see. i want to feel. God, help me. make me AWARE. OPEN my eyes. MOVE my heart!

And He set me on fire, and I am burning alive.
With His breath in my lungs I am coming undone.
And he set me on fire and I am burning alive.
With his breath in my lungs I am coming undone.
And I cannot hold it in and remain composed.
Love's taken over me and so I propose the letting myself go.
I am letting myself go.

You are my joy.
You are my joy.
You are my joy.
You are my joy.

(i get to see crowder in one week :) )

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I like the way Chesterton thinks.